Alumni Feature - Kayla Ryan '15



Washington School in south suburban Joliet serves hundreds of children in Joliet Public Schools District 86. Many of the children who attend Washington have experienced serious challenges outside of the classroom and Language Arts teacher Kayla Ryan ’15 says she spends quite a bit of time worrying about their futures.

“Many times my students have experienced more hardships than most adults in their short time here on Earth, and it effects their academics immensely. One of the best pieces of advice that I got in my undergrad came from Ann O’Brien and she said, ‘There will be no learning going on if a child’s basic need of sleep, food, and love are not met.’ I try to remember that every day, and this is where growing and forming the relationships that I have with my students is the most important part of my job.”

For Kayla, becoming a teacher was a no-brainer. The second oldest of five children in her family, she spent many nights and weekends babysitting her siblings. She realized quickly as a young adult she wanted to be a mother when she got older. Then, after taking a child development class in high school, she knew the elementary education field was for her – something she says actually took her by surprise. “I wanted to be a teacher because I actually hated school growing up. I wanted to help kids not hate school because learning can be so much fun. I tried to think about what I would be good at, and working with kids was something that always came naturally to me.”

After graduating high school, Kayla attended the College of DuPage and enrolled in a 2+2 program. Her program transitioned seamlessly into Lewis University’s College of Education. At Lewis, Kayla majored in Elementary Education. She credits her fellow students and professors in the College of Education for preparing her for her career. “My classes were practical, enlightening, engaging, and encouraging. I had professors that I learned a lot from and they became my mentors. I also felt confident in my interviewing readiness. The College of Education made sure we succeeded.”

Kayla succeeded. She now teaches sixth, seventh, and eighth graders at Washington the importance of reading, writing, and grammar. This is her fourth year at the school. For Kayla, it’s a labor of love and about exemplifying the Catholic Lasallian values she learned at Lewis and giving her students the tools they need to succeed.

“I love the students. The students are the reason I am there, the fuel to the fire. When I get to see the light bulb go off when they grasp a concept, the excitement in their eyes when they succeed, the notes and pictures of appreciation, and the former students who come back to visit to say thank you, it reminds me of why I teach.”

Kayla says her lifelong learning and teaching experiences have only just begun. She returned to Lewis and will earn her graduate degree this year. “I enjoyed Lewis University so much that I came back to continue with my Master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction in Literacy and ESL. Lewis and the College of Education’s standards brought spiritual beliefs back into my everyday life, and as my grandma always tells me, ‘You are doing God’s work’”.

Kayla knows that while her students may continue to face challenges, they can be successful as they continue their journey through Joliet’s school system and beyond. She adds that it’s not just her kids learning important lessons, but her learning many new things too. “Many of my students are so resilient, and that inspires me to do better and continue to teach. My co-workers are also a huge motivator. Many of my co-workers have become lifelong friends and some are even like my family. I could not deal with the stresses of my job without my co-workers and I am very thankful for them. My family is also a huge motivator. My parents inspire me to work hard, and my sisters encourage me when I am feeling down or have had a bad day. I am thankful and blessed.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traci Gaydos ’02

Tatiana Machado-Griffin '14

Lewis Alumni Spotlight: Jaylen Bush '21