Alumni Feature - Allison Trendle '18


Inmates are humans, too.


That’s the conclusion Allison Trendle ‘18 came to after she spent her years as an undergrad communicating with various inmates, including Debbie* (name changed for anonymity) at Logan Correction Center in downstate Illinois. Allison began correspondence with Debbie through Faith Behind Bars, a course facilitated by Lewis University Professor Dr. Christie Billups. The course explores practicing faithful justice and explores communication with those incarcerated and those affected by crime using a Catholic perspective. Throughout their correspondence, Allison learned that Debbie held deep regret for the crime she committed, and witnessed Debbie’s humanity in the letters she wrote about her family and the day-to-day details of her life, albeit behind bars.

 “I started with Faith Behind Bars my sophomore year and it opened up an entirely new world for me. As a society, we are all too willing to cast aside the incarcerated population and think about them as less than human. But by communicating with inmates, I learned others’ stories and lives and realized that even though someone might do a horrible thing, they’re still human.”

While participating in Faith Behind Bars, Allison also completed research across her majors in Criminal & Social Justice and Psychology, along with her minor in Peace Studies. She opted to focus on Restorative Justice and Retributive Justice as it relates to the juvenile criminal justice system here in America and internationally. Her passion for criminal justice stems from a lifelong dream of entering a career where she could be of service to others.

“I’ve always wanted to be a lawyer to help people. This idea was cemented my freshman year when one of my favorite professors talked about how lawyers have the capability of helping society as a whole, and, although I believe that helping individuals is incredibly important, broader changes to the system as a whole will help prevent some of the harm before it even happens.”

Allison graduated from Lewis in 2018 with highest honors. During her time at Lewis, she participated in a number of on-campus organizations and was a multi-year recipient of the Gordon Kendall Memorial Endowed Scholarship, a scholarship awarded to criminal and social justice majors who exemplify the spirit of the late Gordon Kendall, Director of Protective Services at Lewis. After graduation, Allison was accepted to The John Marshall Law School in downtown Chicago. She is entering her second year and is devoting her time to examining how she use her talents as a future lawyer in the community.

“Right now, I’m still doing some restorative justice research and its place in the legal system. It will always be a huge part of my life, and I want to continue that throughout my career. Now that I am going into my second year, there will be more opportunities for research. Restorative justice will continue to be a thread through my research, but I have some ideas for other research projects that will hopefully allow me to use my Psychology degree.”

Allison has previously completed legal analysis projects for Fairmount, Illinois, a village in Vance Township, Vermilion County, Illinois. The village was experiencing lack of inadequate housing, education, and clean water. Allison’s job was to explore the legality of the issues facing Fairmount and empower it’s 640 residents by educating them about their legal rights.

“Fairmount showed me that these issues don’t just happen in some far-off place that is easy to distance yourself from. They happen right next door to Lewis where all of us are experiencing privileges that some people can dream of. It made me realize that we need to work with our neighbors and listen to their stories. The most important lesson I learned is that when you insert yourself in a community to help, you need to fully listen to them and what they think, not you telling them what you think they need.”

Before graduation day at John Marshall, Allison plans to participate in two judicial externships, one at the Illinois Appellate Court and one at the Family Law Division in Cook County. She will participate in another externship for restorative justice, which will be taken as an elective. Allison credits Lewis for helping her rise to the challenges law school brings.

“Lewis and my professors taught me that treating everyone with compassion and respect is the most important thing we can do for each other. Lewis also taught me a work ethics that is helping me to succeed in law school. Without the support I received from the educator’s at Lewis, I would not be able to pursue my passion.”

After earning her J.D., Allison hopes to answer a calling to enter the field of juvenile justice and work with young people. Her aim is to help them find a better path in life and inspire them to make choices that positively serve themselves and others.

For Allison, it’s simple. “Professionally and personally, I want to make a difference in the world, no matter how small that difference may be. I want to be part of the effort to make the world a better place.”




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Traci Gaydos ’02

Tatiana Machado-Griffin '14

Lewis Alumni Spotlight: Jaylen Bush '21