Alumni Feature - Hannah Zuercher '19


Hannah Zuercher ’19 was a passenger on a NASA airplane as an earth-science research NASA intern, spent part of her undergraduate career researching how to develop hydrogel bandages for burn victims, and served as captain of the swim team her senior year – but she will tell anyone that none of it was possible without the help of others.

“I am beyond grateful for the wonderful mentors, professors, and teammates I had at Lewis. I would not be where I am today without their constant support.”

Hannah says she was nervous coming to a school in a place where she had no immediate family or friends around. She quickly forged her own path and made friends when she joined clubs and activities on campus. She was a reader and greeter for University Ministry and a member of the Student Athlete Bible Study, the Student Athletic Advisory Committee, and Lemon Club, a group that raises money for childhood cancer research.

Before graduating with her degree in biology in May 2019, Hannah had the opportunity to conduct a research project while at NASA. She studied the effects of ozone levels on mortality rates in central and southern California.

“It was great that I was able to relate the field of earth-science to something that impacts my future career,” says Hannah.

That future career for Hannah meant following in the footsteps of her father and becoming a doctor. When she decided to pursue her lifelong dream of entering medical school, she realized it was her Lewis experience that helped her stand out from the crowd. “I made a core group of friends and was able to connect with my peers. These experiences especially helped me when applying to medical school, as I stood out from other candidates with my involvement in both medical and non-medical related activities.”

Hannah adds that while her experience at Lewis helped her excel academically and socially, the road to medical school was not an easy one.

“My choice to attend medical school was filled with a lot of stress, anxiety, self-doubt, late nights of studying, and missing class and swim practice to fly to my interviews. But now that I am in medical school, I do not regret my decision one bit.”

Hannah is now in her first year of medical school at the University of South Florida’s Morsani College of Medicine. Hannah’s goals include specializing in pediatric gastroenterology and studying abroad in medical school to learn about nutrition. She hopes to form special bonds with her future patients and treat them in mind, body, and spirit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traci Gaydos ’02

Tatiana Machado-Griffin '14

Lewis Alumni Spotlight: Jaylen Bush '21