Alumni Feature - Ashley Bihun '19

Nexstar Media Group, Inc. recently gifted the Lewis University Radio/TV Department with a Sony MVS8000 high-definition switcher and five Sony HDC1500 studio cameras.

The opportunity to work on this type of high-end technology fuels the transformational experience that a Lewis education provides to our students and helps prepare them for a successful career in broadcasting. Take Ashley Bihun ’19 for example…

Ashley did radio in high school, but never imagined she could make a career out of it; that changed as she began to look at colleges and took a tour of Lewis. One of the stops on her tour was at the Radio/TV station with Associate Professor/Director of Television Operations John Kilpatrick. Afterwards, Ashley immediately felt excited and hopeful for her future.

Ashley came to Lewis with an undeclared major – but that didn’t last very long. She enrolled in an Introduction to Radio course her freshman year which inspired her to take a leap of faith, follow her heart, and finally join the broadcasting program at Lewis.

“I loved how passionate the professors like John Carey and John Kilpatrick were; they were genuinely so excited about what they did and were proud to share their experiences and knowledge to teach and inspire others. I did not know what I wanted to do for my career, but life at Lewis really opened my eyes. I found what I liked and worked alongside people who loved what they were doing. I finally felt passionate about something, so I knew I was doing the right thing!” Ashley said.

Ashley recently graduated and now works as Supervising Producer for WGN Radio. At the end of her
junior year, she started an internship at WGN, and afterwards, she was offered a part-time job which eventually led to this full-time job opportunity right out of college.

“What I liked most about Lewis is that we were treated like adults,” added Ashley. “We had a voice, and it would be heard; that helped give me the confidence I needed in my career. I feel comfortable learning and exploring and remain open to compromise and criticism. They taught me how to be a professional, push forward, and be better with every step I take!

Ashley came to Lewis unsure of what she wanted for her future, but, during her time as a student, she was able to explore her passion and find her true purpose.

“Ashley had experience in radio from high school and definitely came to Lewis well prepared to pursue a career in broadcasting,” said Associate Professor/Director of Electronic Media John Carey. “Her abilities became far beyond what we ever expected. She is great at what she does, and we could not be prouder to see everything she has accomplished so far.”

Ashley is not the only Lewis alum working with Nexstar Media Group. Recently hired alumni include Shane Gustafson ’15, Michelle Krzystyniak ’14, Daniel Long ’13, and Breandan Rook ’17.

“WGN America just launched a new primetime broadcast called NewsNation,” added Carey. “They hired around 180 people from across the country – and two of them came from Lewis University [Shane Gustafson and Michelle Krzystyniak]. That is a big deal! It means we are doing something right and is one example of how important this partnership is for everyone involved.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traci Gaydos ’02

Lewis Alumni Spotlight: Jaylen Bush '21

Tatiana Machado-Griffin '14