Women’s History Month Alumna Feature: Deborah Olivia (Brown) Farmer ’95

Each year, women comprise more than two-thirds of graduates with degrees in journalism or mass communications, and yet the media industry is just one-third women, a number that only decreases for women of color, reports from the News Leaders Association show.

After a decade-long career in broadcasting, Deborah Olivia (Brown) Farmer ’95 realized she had the potential to make a real difference. Feeling disenchanted by the way the media industry played to women of color, Deborah started Brown Farmer Media Group, her very own communications firm based in Chicago and Atlanta.

Partnering with both local and national clients, Deborah has worked on a variety of projects. Her firm was hired to help recruit minorities to the Chicago Police Department, educate Chicago residents on the non-emergency number for city services, market the 2020 Census, and work with the first-ever black female mayor of Lynwood, IL.

“Some of this work is history in the making, and I get to be a part of it,” says Deborah. “I want to leave a mark on the community in a positive way. I feel rewarded and it is an honor to be able to give back in a way that I know I can do well.”

Deborah’s grandmother was a very integral part of her life. Inspired by her strength, Deborah was able to see her potential and go after it.

“I think about the strength she provided – leaving Mississippi and coming to Chicago, leaving the segregated South. That in itself was great strength and fortitude. When I think about Women’s History Month, I reflect on the past and also everything that is happening today. There are so many things women did to break barriers, and I am excited to be in a place where we have overcome so much pain, especially in 2020. This past year of isolation allowed us to rest and recharge our batteries so we can continue to do the work we were called to do.”

For Deborah, that not only includes the work through her firm, but also the work she puts into giving back and mentoring other women.

“I do not think giving back to others is an option, I see it is an obligation,” Deborah adds. “As women, it is not about just YOU elevating and getting to YOUR next level, it is also about bringing others with you. I think that when you are afforded the opportunity to go into those board room meetings, or get to the golf course, if you will, you are obligated to bring someone else with you. My role model, Shirley Chisholm, has a saying, ‘If there is not a seat for you at the table, bring your own chair’ but I say bring two chairs!”

Deborah goes above and beyond to help women, not just in their career but their personal life too.

After adopting a child (Joshua) 5 years ago, Deborah made it her new life mission to educate and advocate for adoption. In fact, she is working on a book to share her son’s adoption story called My Journey to Joshua. Deborah hopes this book will serve as a tool to inform and encourage other women who are going through the adoption process.


“My work is very important, and Lewis has been the foundation of everything I do,” says Deborah. “My time at Lewis was life changing. It shaped me to have a voice and taught me what I needed to know in order to be a successful business owner in Corporate America. My one piece of advice to current students is to think creatively. It was not until I began working at WGN as a segment producer, that I truly saw all of the different opportunities in media. Here we are, nearly 20 years later, and I never thought I would be working as a business owner in the media industry. There are no excuses – go out there and do what you want!”

Comments

  1. Deborah has a great story and a great influence on not just women, but men also. She was a great inspiration for me in writing my 1st book Silent Cry many years ago. Her grandmother was also a great influence on me with her words of encouragement and strong family values. Deborah's story is one every young person should know about and follow. The Bassette Family will always be some of your biggest fans!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Traci Gaydos ’02

Lewis Alumni Spotlight: Jaylen Bush '21

Tatiana Machado-Griffin '14