Lewis Alumni Feature: James Belmont '94

Every year on November 11, we stop to honor and celebrate all those who have served in the United States Armed Forces. For Jim Belmont ’94, U.S. Navy Captain who has served for the last 27 years, it is a day of vulnerability.

“Although Veterans Day celebrates all veterans who served in any capacity, to me, it symbolizes the ultimate sacrifice of the millions of individuals who served in the Armed Forces, no matter what branch, and haven’t been  able to come home. Only 1% of the population serves and can call themselves a veteran. We don’t do this for the praise, we do it because it is what is in our hearts. But getting a moment where someone comes up on the street or in a supermarket and says thank you for your service means a lot. Veterans Day gives us the opportunity to let our guard down for that moment and enjoy the praise from those we serve and protect.” 

After graduating from Lewis in May 1994, Jim sought after a non-traditional path and immediately enlisted in the U.S. Navy that June. And after just a few years into his enlistment, Jim’s officers realized his potential and encouraged him to take the next step and apply for Officer Candidate School.

Since then, Jim has grown in his career over the years and is now second-in-command at a major industrial facility. He was recently promoted to Captain and is currently serving as the Executive Officer at Fleet Readiness Center East (Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in North Carolina). Jim is in charge of 4000+ military, civilians, and contractors generating one billion in annual revenue.

“Being enlisted for almost four years gave me the tools to succeed as an officer,” said Jim. “I feel lucky to be where I am today. It hasn’t always been an easy journey, but I had many opportunities that allowed me to grow and kept me going on the right path. Of course, I could not have done any of it without the constant support from all my friends and family who have been by my side through the good and bad.”

Growing up nearby the Navy’s bootcamp and several other military bases, Jim knew from a young age that he wanted to serve in some capacity. It wasn’t until his junior year at Lewis University that a U.S. Navy recruiter approached him and turned his dream into a reality.

As a student at Lewis, Jim was very involved in addition to working toward his aviation administration degree. He served as a Resident Assistant in South Hall and Koinonia leader and participated in WLRA, intramurals, a fraternity, and student government.

“My time at Lewis gave me the basic aeronautical knowledge I needed to be successful in my career,” said Jim. “The small class sizes, flexibility, and hands-on learning environment gave me the opportunity to thrive. I also found value in my religion and ethics courses; it was the core values I learned in those classes that gave me structure. The faith-based education I received at Lewis provided me with a constant and set me on the right path.”

Jim always admired President Emeritus, Brother James Gaffney, FSC for his dedication to the students at Lewis. “Brother James was always present. I recall seeing him constantly walk around campus, greeting the community, and calling everyone by their name,” Jim added.

It was his actions that inspired Jim to be the same type of leader. Jim devotes time during every workday to walk the lines, talk to his crew, and learn about the projects they are working on.

“I want my team to know I care about them as people first. I have been through what they are going through and hope to serve as a positive influence in their life, especially during the dark times.”

After a highly successful career, Jim still finds value in the opportunities, experiences, and friendships from his time at Lewis. Those are the very things that provided him with a foundation to be able to serve his team and our country with honor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traci Gaydos ’02

Lewis Alumni Spotlight: Jaylen Bush '21

Tatiana Machado-Griffin '14