Lewis Alumni Feature: William Heiden '84

For Lewis alumnus, Bill Heiden '84, a Catholic education has been an integral part of his life since grammar school. Growing up, Bill attended St. Christopher Catholic School and Marist High School and eventually went on to earn his bachelor's degree in biology at Lewis. Today, Bill works as a middle school teacher at Annunciation Catholic Academy in Altamonte Springs, Florida. 

Both as an educator and Catholic educator, Bill tries to incorporate his real world learning experiences into his classroom. Having worked as a research chemist, for 30 years, alongside people in sales and marketing, he recognizes the importance of blending these experiences into his lessons. 

"I always felt my Catholic education and rigor better prepared me for college and career," says Bill. "I felt that I could take on the challenges and expectations of my employers and jobs. At the same time, at Lewis, I was able to be more involved and enjoy the extracurricular activities, because I knew how to balance both the rigor of college and the fun."

"I took on teaching as a second career to give back some of what I had learned and gained from my first career. I feel my faith, and Lewis, contributed to that notion of giving back and supporting others. These
are values I try to instill in my classroom and students. I also remind them change is sometimes necessary in order to improve life for oneself, others, and the community. Embrace it; be part of it if you have passion about something you believe in," Bill adds.

Bill knows firsthand how vital the value of a Catholic education can be and has passed along that knowledge - both inside and outside the classroom. In addition to teaching, Bill is the husband of Lewis alumna Barbara (Ludtke) Heiden '87 and proud father of two children - Katie and Matt. Katie graduated from Lewis in 2020 and will be graduating with her MBA this spring, continuing to live out her father's legacy.

Whether it is a lesson plan or a conversation around the dinner table, Bill has made it his mission to use his Catholic education to ignite a change in the world and make a differences in the lives of others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traci Gaydos ’02

Lewis Alumni Spotlight: Jaylen Bush '21

Tatiana Machado-Griffin '14